Nana Rak’s Sausage Stuffing
What you need to make this stuffing!
It is important to note that the bread for this stuffing needs to be prepared 2 days ahead.
2 loafs stuffing bread no seasoning
1 1/2 cup of celery chopped
1 1/2 cup chopped onion
1 stick margarine or butter
1 pound pork sausage (Bob Evan’s Original)
2-3 cans of mushrooms drained
1 cup warm milk
2 cans of chicken broth/stock
2 eggs beaten
Nana Rak’s Sausage Stuffing
- 2 loafs stuffing bread non seasoning (break up and dry out a day ahead)
- 1 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 stick margarine or butter
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 2-3 cans mushroom drained your call, add more if you like- maybe 4!
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 cans chicken brother/stock remember breading needs to be moist
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 fresh parsley light
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp ground sage
- Brown pork sausage, breaking-up sausage as it cooks. Remove from skillet and set aside. In the same skillet, do the following.
- Saute onion and celery until soft, add poultry season, sage, and mushrooms.
- Heat cup of milk and pour over bread crumbs, mix well. Add can of chicken broth/stock. Bread should be very moist. Mix well, if bread is not moist, slowly add a little more brother/stock to right consistency. Add meat mixture to bread, two beaten eggs and parsley mix well.
- Pre-heat oven to 350
- Bake covered for 1 hour, uncover and continue to bake until nice and brown on top. Ovens vary in temperatures, pan an additional 45 minutes at least.
- As you will notice, amounts for the poultry seasoning, sage, and parsley aren't given. That is because it is a matter of your taste. Remember, if you are using Bob Evan's sausage, it is already seasoned, so go light. I use 2 teaspoons of poultry seasoning, 1 teaspoon of sage and about a 1/2 cup of parsley. This is the basic recipe. follow it, next time you can customize it to your taste.
- Add broth while baking if necessary to keep from being dry.
Step-by-Step Instruction !
The Original Recipe (or at least the one I got!)
Start with pulling apart stuffing bread 1-2 days ahead
Break up bread 1-2 days ahead so that it dries out enough. Continue to move around in pan throughout the 2 days to help ensure all pieces become dry.
Continue to move bread strips around in pan to ensure all bread is exposed to air to become stale.
Stuffing ingredients-chopped onion, chopped celery, sliced mushrooms, poultry and sage. Bob Evan’s Sausage.
Aluminum pan lined with non-stick foil and coated with butter.
Brown the sausage chopping into small pieces. Cook until done.
Remove sausage, add one stick of butter and saute the onions and celery until soft.
When veggies are soft add poultry seasoning and sage, then add the mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are warmed through. Recipe does not give exact amounts, but notes on recipe say 2 tsp poultry seasoning and 1/2 teaspoon ground sage.
When mushrooms are warm add the meat back into the mix, no additional heat needed, just mix thoroughly.
Add one cup of warm whole milk to the dried bread and mix by hand.
Now add chicken broth to the dried bread, must be very wet, almost soupy. I used two and 3/4 cans of broth and worked it in until mixture is very consistent.
Make sure mixture is very wet and ‘soupy’.
Add the meat and veggies and mix well. Now add 2 eggs.
Add parsley flakes. About 2 handfuls.
Transfer mix to cooking pan that was lined with non stick foil and butter.
Add a few butter pads to the top. Cover with foil and cook at 350 for one hour, then uncover and cook and additional 45-60 minutes or until golden brown.
Remember after 1 hour to remove the foil, then cook for the additional 45-60 minutes.