Food Network’s Crispy Asian Sprout Slaw
This is an outstanding side dish that I recently saw on the Food Network’s ‘The Kitchen” ! I have been binging on cooking shows for various reasons lately and ‘The Kitchen‘ is one of my favorites! Jeff Mauro always comes up with amazing recipes! The is an Asian style coleslaw made from brussel sprouts! The ingredients are super clean! This is a fresh dish that will go along great with any protein! I paired it with teriyaki salmon that I made with Kinder’s Teriyaki sauce. The sauce was absolutely outstanding! It tasted similar to a teriyaki dish i once had at P.F. Chang’s !
Food Network’s Crispy Asian Sprout Salad
- 1 16 OZ Bag shaved brussel sprouts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 zest and juice half an orange
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup wontons for garnish
- preheat over to 400 degrees
- In a large bowl, toss the sprouts with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread evenly on a baking sheet and roast, stirring halfway through, until the sprouts are beginning to brown and crisp around the edges about 20 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the rice wine vinegar, mustard, orange juice and zest and half the scallions. Slowly whisk in the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil until emulsified. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the sprouts and almonds to the dressing and gently toss to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Pile high on a serving platter and top with the wonton strips and remaining scallions.
For the salmon, I marinated 4 Norwegian salmon filets in a bag of Kinder’s Teriyaki sauce for about 2 hours. About a half an hour before cooking, I brought the salmon out and laid it on the counter to bring it to room temp. After the salmon was at room temperature, I heated a non-stick skillet over medium heat with a splash of olive oil. Add the salmon, reserving the marinade from the bag. Heat for 2 minutes in pan. After 2 minutes add reserve marinade. Cook for another 2 minutes or so the flip. Cook another 3-4 minutes until salmon reaches internal temp of 145 degrees!